- 1 large (2¼ lb/1 kg) cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch (5-cm) florets
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (4 oz/125 g) unsalted roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups (15 oz/470 g) steamed brown rice, for serving
Place a heavy, rimmed baking sheet on the center rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). In a bowl, toss the cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Spread the florets on the hot baking sheet and roast, stirring once, until golden brown and tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes.
Place the cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk in the broth, tomato paste, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, and red chile flakes.
In a wok or large skillet, warm the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and stir until fragrant, 15 seconds. Add the celery and stir until the celery is tender-crisp, 1 minute. Add the broth mixture and cook until thick and bubbly, 1 minute. Fold in the roasted cauliflower, cashews, and green onions.
Heap the brown rice into bowls, spoon the stir-fry over, and serve warm.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Calories 447
- Protein 14 g
- Total fat 20 g
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Carbs 59 g
- Fiber 9 g
- Sugar 9 g
- Sodium 522 mg